Cloud Print Linden Sweatshirt

This year I want to sew with more knits so as a new year treat to myself I placed a Fabworks order and bought Grainline Studio’s Linden Sweatshirt pattern. The cloud print scuba from Fabworks is something I’ve had my eye on since I saw in on their website and when they announced it was nearly sold out, I snapped some up. I have enough left to make something else (maybe a skirt?) too. I also bought some magenta ponte from Boyes for the arms and bindings.

I had 2 attempts at this pattern, messing up the first time by stretching the neckline horribly out of shape trying to fit the neck band as well as only cutting one hem band and wondering why it was so small on the waist. In the end I decided to have another ago and also cut a bigger size. My first attempt was a size 0 but when trying it on, it was too close fitting for my liking (I buy my sweatshirts very oversized) so for the second attempt I cut a size 4. It’s still quite close fitting compared to some of my RTW sweatshirts but it’s roomy enough to fit a lot of layers underneath which is what I need!

img_20160121_231123.jpg
The finished product – not sure how well it goes with my flowery skirt though!

The hardest part of this was getting the neckband to stretch but in the end I managed it though I think it sticks up a little too much – hopefully top stitching will help that. Overall, I like this pattern. It’s easy and enjoyable and once all the tracing and cutting is done, quick to sew up. I have some daisy print jersey that I might make a View B version of the pattern from in the future.

Advertisements

Little Black Megan Dress

My first make of the year is, unfortunately, an unsuccessful one. I had a family party over the weekend and after my unsuccessful, and unblogged, Christmas dress, I decided that my first sewing project of the year would be a dress for the family party.

wp-1452031339228.jpg
Look how beautiful it is!

As one of my new year’s resolutions is to use more of my sewing stash, I dug out some black cotton lawn and black devore style floral fabric and decided to make a Megan Dress. My first post on this blog was a modified Megan Dress but for this one, I decided to use the fitted skirt and the capped sleeves. The only modification I make was to line the bodice using the cotton lawn rather than facing it, using the method in ‘Love at First Stitch’.

wp-1452031343344.jpg

Overall the dress looked really nice, with my girlfriend and my mum saying it looked like the kind of dress you could buy in the shops which was a huge compliment to me. The problem with it was that it was far too tight across the bodice. Having had a similar experience with the sleeves of the Mimi Blouse I made last year, I feel like this is part of the problem but I also think I am in need of retaking my measurements and maybe going up a pattern size in the Tilly patterns.

wp-1452180398135.jpg
Really stretching across the front.

Luckily I brought a back up dress with me to the party and didn’t have to spend the evening with my arms pinned to my sides in fear of splitting a seam on the dress. For now, the dress can hang on my wall as a feature and maybe in the future I’ll alter it, but for now I have other patterns to tackle.

New Year Sewing Resolutions

It’s been a while since I’ve blogged but then it’s been a while since I had a chance to do some sewing – uni has been kicking my ass but with a week off I’m planning to catch up on the few bits I did get to make since I last blogged and hopefully do some more sewing.

I am hoping to sew more in 2016 and I’ve bought some patterns I’m hoping to make for myself and for others.

My first resolution is to work through my stash of fabric before I buy any more without a specific project in mind.

My second resolution is to try and sew more knit fabrics. I’ve got some cloud patterned scuba fabric on its way to me that I want to make a sweatshirt from that I’m looking forward to trying to make.

My first make of the new year is a dress for a family party that hopefully I’ll have finished and ready to blog in a couple of days!